It could be ninety degrees outside and I’d still get out my slow cooker for dinner meals. It’s just so easy. And, something I’ve learned from the last two times I’ve used a slow cooker; if you can, do the “slow and low” method, rather than the “fast and high” method (ie: if you have the time, keep your slow cooker on low, and cook for longer). Maybe you already knew that? Today’s recipe is one that I’ve been meaning to make for some time now. Paige, my daughter who eats everything, has always had a particular love for dark meat chicken, but I really wasn’t thinking of her when I made this. I was thinking about my wing loving husband; Nick (ok I’ll admit, I also love wings). We all loved this recipe, so please, enjoy.
Honey-Orange Chicken Drumsticks
- ⅓ cup honey **
- 2 tsp. orange zest
- 2 Tbsp orange juice
- 3 Tbsp reduced sodium soy sauce **
- 5 Tbsp minced ginger
- 1 Tbsp. rice vinegar
- ¼ tsp. crushed red pepper
- 12 medium drumsticks, skin removed
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish
- 2 tsp. sesame seeds, for garnish
- Combine honey, orange zest, orange juice, soy sauce, ginger, vinegar and crushed red pepper in a small bowl.
- Coat a 5-6 quart slow cooker with cooking spray. Add the drumstick, pour the sauce over the chicken, mix to coat. Cover and cook until an instant-read thermometer registers 165 degrees when inserted into the thickest part of the meat, 2 to 3 hours on High or 4 on Low.
- Transfer the drumsticks to a bowl. Very carefully pour the liquid from the slow cooker into a medium skillet. Bring to a boil over high heat. Boil until reduce and syrupy (10-15 minutes). Pour the sauce over the drumsticks and stir to coat. Top with cilantro and sesame seeds. Enjoy!
** If you are following a low FODMAPs diet, use maple syrup instead of honey. Also, if you are following a gluten-free diet, use tamari instead of soy sauce.
Serving size: 2 drumsticks Calories: 245 Fat: 7 g Saturated fat: 2 g Carbohydrates: 18 g Sugar: 16 g Sodium: 404 mg Protein: 28 g