Asparagus Guacamole

What if you went to Chipotle and asked for guacamole……

And instead of avocado guacamole you got…..asaparagus guacamole!!??

I made asparagus guacamole the other day for some friends and it was a HUGE HIT! Sorry I don’t have pictures, but it looked a lot like regular guacamole just a bit more thin and watery. I only had a tiny taste because the onions and garlic called for in the recipe (not to mention the asparagus itself!) are not part of my low FODMAPs diet, but I had to taste to make sure it was ok before giving it to friends, of course….. Here is the recipe;

Asparagus Guacamole

Author:
Serves: 4-5

Ingredients
  • 1 pound asparagus
  • ½ cup salsa (or green chilis)
  • 1 T chopped cilantro
  • 2 garlic cloves
  • 4 green onions

Instructions
  1. Place the asparagus in a pot with enough water to cover. Bring to a boil, and cook 5 minutes, until tender but firm. Drain, and rinse with cold water.
  2. Place the asparagus, salsa, cilantro, garlic, and green onions in a food processor or blender, and process to desired consistency. Refrigerate 1 hour, or until chilled, before serving.

Notes
This is not a low FODMAPs recipe. Period.

Of course there are some naysayers out there who will refuse to give up their guacamole for asparagus guacamole, but considering all that fiber, vitamin A, vitamin C (and folate), and the incredibly low calorie count, how could you refuse?! Perhaps if you’re not one to try new things you could still add a nice succulent avocado to this recipe. After all, avocados are a great source of monounsaturated fats, and the asparagus/avocado guacamole would still be a healthier alternative to most guacamole out there.

QUESTION: Have you ever made guacamole with something other than avocados?

Comments

1. says

This sounds good! I’ve never gotten adventurous with guac…but I like the flavors so it makes sense to try asparagus! I’d probably ease into it with mixing the two first I think.

2. says

This sounds super interesting…but was it as creamy as avocado?! :) I’m just kinda addicted to the real stuff…but it sounds like it was a hit!

3. says

I would never have thought to add asparagus to guacamole – that sounds delicious though.

I’ve added edamame to guacamole – but that is it!

4. says

Who woulda thought? Very interesting and I would try it! I can eat a whole avocado with a spoon pretty much, so I may have to add a teeny bit, but looks great! This could be a great way to reduce the calories of reg guac :)

5. says

i won’t ever give up my guax for asparagas because asparagas makes me gas hahahahaha but this recipe looks so fun! i would like to make it some day though and see if i can fake it to some people

6. says

Everyone always posts the pea version as a sub and I make a pouty face because I’m allergic to them! I can not wait to try this!

7. says

I am just curious why you consider the asparagus or asparagus/avocado hybrid versions “healthier” especially given your endorsement of avocados as an excellent source of nutrients? Why does lower fat and calories mean “healthier?” I am sorry – I am just confused (and, admittedly, a passionate defender of traditional guac – I love me some avocados!!!) Thanks!