For so long, the Persians have been very well known for their hospitality, irrespective of the tribe or the region they are in. Persian food is very diverse, and each Persian food is unique with its aroma and great taste that leaves the mouthwatering.
Often, we get confused with the options of the Persian foods available as they all are delicious. You can visit Iran and enjoy their unique and delicious cuisine, or you can get to work and prepare them at home without even having to travel. Luckily, today internet has made everything so straightforward that we can get Persian food recipes quickly at our fingertips whenever we want. Isn’t it so?
Let us read about some of the best Persian dishes and their recipes. You can even try them at home and share the recipes if you like them.
Kookoo sabzi is an Iranian herb frittata, and the name is very popular in Persian foods and the ones who are vegetarians.
Sabzi, as the name suggests, in the Persian language, means herbs such as chives and cilantro, and these are all used in making Kookoo sabzi. Even barberries and walnuts are added to the Kookoo sabzi in some parts based on different tastes and preferences.
The ingredients for the preparation of Kookoo sabzi are generally prepared separately, and then they are all mixed and beaten in a bowl with eggs. You can say that Kookoo and frittata are a bit similar as the egg is used in both for the binding purpose, and they are both disk-shaped once they are prepared.
If you are interested in preparing the Kookoo sabzi, here are the ingredients you require for the preparation process.
- Sliced garlic chives.
- ¾ cup of chopped cilantro. The fresher, the better it will taste.
- ½ cup of chopped dill.
- Six eggs.
- Greek yogurt.
- A pinch of ground cayenne pepper.
- Vegetable oil and unsalted butter.
- You can use walnuts for garnishing at the end.
- ½ tsp of turmeric, rice spice, and salt.
How to prepare Kookoo sabzi?
- Slice the garlic with the help of the sharp knife and then add the chives to a bowl and fill the bowl with cold water.
- Take the washed dills and the cilantro and allow them to drain in the colander. Later chop them and add them to the bowl as well.
- Take a medium bowl and add the eggs, yogurt along with the salt, and other spices to taste. Whisk them well until they all blend well.
- Add the mixture of the eggs you have to the bowl of the herb and mix well until you see that all the herbs are well coated.
- Pick a non-stick pan and pour the mixture in the pan and allow it to cook. You can use a spatula as well to smooth the mixture.
- Take the lead and cover the pan.
- Once the Kookoo sabzi is cooked, you can invert the Kookoo into a big plate and then cut it into slices with the help of a sharp knife.
This was a straightforward recipe of the Kookoo sabzi.
Apart from Kookoo sabzi, in the list of the Persian food recipes, there is another Kookoo, but this time instead of sabzi, which is herbs, potatoes are used. The name of this delicious dish is Kookoo sibzamini.
Kookoo sibzamini is a potato patty, and they are ideal to be served as appetizers.
The ingredient you need for the preparation of the Kookoo sabzi is:
Things you need are:
- Four medium-sized potatoes.
- Diced red bell pepper.
- Crispy fried onions.
- A cup of mung beans in a cooked form.
- ½ tbsp. of turmeric powder, ginger powder, gram masala, paprika.
- ½ tsp of salt.
- Vegetable oil and finally breadcrumbs.
How to Prepare the Kookoo Sibzamini?
- Shred the cooked potatoes in a bowl and then add the mung beans along with the diced bell peppers to it.
- Add the fried onions along with the spices and eggs. You can easily season it with pepper and salt and mix gently till the mixture is well combined.
- Take a non-stick pan and heat the oil.
- With your hands, make small patties out of the mixture and then fry them in the pan.
- To drain the excess oil, you can remove the patties from the pan and place them over napkins or paper.
You can enjoy your delicious Kookoo sibzamini with flatbread which is known as lavash in Iran.
Apart from Kookoo, there are other great dishes that you may only find in Iran, but they are unique. One of these amazing dishes is abdoogh khiar. The name sounds funny or confusing, but let us tell you what it is and how it is prepared.
Abdoogh khiar, as translated, means cold cucumber and yogurt soup. Mind it is a soup, but it is served in a cold condition. This unique dish is mainly being served on hot scorching summer days, and it is, in fact, an excellent option for refreshment.
The combination of yogurt, cucumber, herbs, and raisins, along with a pinch of dried rose petals, is a great summertime lunch in Iran. The period of preparing abdoogh khiar is only 10 minutes, and then you need to keep it in the refrigerator for one hour.
Now lets us see the ingredients we need for the preparation of the abdoogh khiar.
- 16 ounces of plain low-fat yogurt.
- ¼ cup of fresh savory chopped, along with chopped fresh dill.
- 1/3 cup of raisin.
- Ice cubes.
How to Prepare Abdoogh Khiar?
The preparation of the abdoogh khiar is very easy, and anyone can make it and enjoy having it in the summers. All you need to do is read once, and then you will be able to prepare yourself.
- Take a small bowl and add the diced cucumbers along with the yogurt and chives.
- Add the fresh dill and the savory as well in the bowl.
- Add salt and the raisins and mix well.
- Refrigerate for one-hour maximum and then serve cold.
- You can later garnish with chopped dill as well as rose petals.
Such easy Persian food recipes you will find online, and you can even try all of them at home. Some may sound funny and weird due to their names, but they taste great, and they are worth trying. Lastly, if you make these Persian recipes be sure to find more recipes on yummy notes. Yummy notes is a food blog that features all creative, healthy, delicious, and easy recipes from all over the world.