Do you ever worry about the contaminants in your fish? I hear these questions a lot, “should I eat tuna? Which fish is highest in mercury? Are fish oil supplements safe?
Here are some answers:
- It is advised that adults eat no more than 1 can of tuna per week ( This is the general recommendation, I sometimes eat two cans, personally. The 1 serving per week recommendation is especially important for women who are pregnant).
- Albacore tuna is the richest source of omega-3 fatty acids, and it is also one of the least likely contaminated tunas (light canned tuna actually has the lowest amount of mercury, but it’s also much lower in EPA/DHA).
- The fish that are generally highest in mercury include swordfish, shark, tilefish, and king mackerel. Again, it’s especially important to keep away from these during pregnancy.
- The fish that are generally lowest in mercury are haddock, tilapia, salmon, cod, pollock, canned albacore tuna, and most shellfish.
- If you take cod liver oil, be aware that many brands are potentially high in mercury and PCBs.
- In a recent review of 52 different brands of fish oil, com found that none of the supplements had detectable levels of mercury or PCBs (yeah!).
- Look for theNSF or USP label on your supplements. This means the supplement has been tested for contaminants!
- On a different note, check out this article about the health benefits of fish oil. Basically, there are benefits, but they don’t outweigh the benefits of a healthy lifestyle.
Quick, Healthy, and Cheap Recipe #16
1 slice whole grain bread
3 ounces canned or pouched white tuna
1 slice American Cheese
1 tsp Red Hot
- Use any bread you have available
- Use any tuna you have (white tuna has the most EPA/DHA)
- Use any kind of cheese!
Add the tuna and the cheese on top of the bread. Pop into toasted oven until cheese is nice and melted.
EPA/DHA: ~.66-1 gram per serving (The recommendation is 1-2 grams per day)
Tomorrow I plan to show you the two houses that Nick and I are “fighting over”. I’ll let you be the judge as to which one you like best. I only have two pictures, from the outside. I’ll show you more once we by one of the houses! I also plan on doing a product review.
Thanks for reading, and have a great day!