You know those times when your kids devour a specific food, and you get all excited so you go out and buy a whole bunch of said food, only to realize that your child was really only into that food on that particular day? So I’ve been in the habit of buying about ten bananas every week because for a couple days Cameron just loved them. Paige also eats the occasional banana, when there aren’t any other options. But as of lately neither of my kids really dig bananas. Thus, they’ve been turning brown in our fridge. That’s what spawned the idea for a banana cookie (since my entire family is sick of me making quick breads!)I found a lovely recipe online but modified it to have less sugar and more whole grains. If you are Gluten Free you could use brown rice flour instead of the white whole wheat.
Banana Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 stick butter, softened
- ¾ cup sugar
- 5-3 large ripe bananas
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour **
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. nutmeg
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl beat the sugar and butter until combined well.
- In a small bowl mash the bananas until they are a puree, then add the baking soda. Mix and then allow to sit for about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile in a medium bowl add the flour, salt, and spices.
- After the five minutes is up, mix the bananas and the sugar/butter mixture into the large bowl. Then slowly add all the dry ingredients into the large bowl.
- Mix well, then fold in the chocolate chips.
- On a greased baking sheet put out 20-25 small cookies. Bake for 10-13 minutes!
** If you follow a Gluten Free of low FODMAP diet, you can use brown rice flour.On Thanksgiving we were running behind and while our guests arrived at 2pm our food wasn’t ready until 3pm. Being the terrible hosts that we are (ahh! need to work on that) we didn’t have any appetizers out. Drinks were flowing, obviously, but nothing to nosh on. I grabbed these cookies out of the freezer and they were the perfect way to tie everyone over until the bird was ready! I hope you enjoy.