I’ve always been jealous of those who can eat a cauliflower pizza crust. I mean, I love pizza, but don’t love all the carbs! When the cauliflower pizza crust recipes got popular I wanted to try one so bad, but I knew that my body would repond with foul gas (you know, those cruciferous veggies..). Beano only does so much. Broccoli, however, doesn’t both me as much as cauliflower because it doesn’t contain the polyols (the “P” in FODMAPs), and therefore I thought I’d try a crust recipe with broccoli.Broccoli Quinoa Pizza Crust
- 2 cups raw broccoli **
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- ½ cup shredded parmesan cheese **
- ½ cup 2% plain Greek yogurt **
- ½ cup egg whites
- 1 Tbsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. each salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 and place your oven rack in the middle.
- In a food processor pulse the broccoli until it looks like small grains of rice (about that size).
- In a large bowl combine the broccoli, quinoa, cheese, yogurt and egg whites, along with the oregano, salt and pepper. Transfer the mixture to a lightly greased pizza stone and spread evenly with your hands or a spatula.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until crust is crispy. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- Top with your favorite toppings (some lower FODMAPs toppings include Rao’s Sensitive Formula sauce, Parmesan cheese or sharp white cheddar, tomatoes, red pepper, spinach). Put oven on broil and broil about 6-7 inches from the broiler, until toppings are brown and melted.
** NOTE: If you are following a low FODMAPs diet keep in mind that broccoli contains FODMAPs, but is typically safe in amounts of ½ cup or less (which is what you would get in 2 slices of this 8 slice pizza). Also, Parmesan cheese and Greek yogurt both contain lactose, which may be a problem for some, but keep in mind that both of these dairy sources are lower in lactose!
Serving size: ⅛ Calories: 120 Fat: 1.5 g Carbohydrates: 15 g Fiber: 2.5 Protein: 6 g
Definitely better than any cauliflower pizza crust! haha, how would I know? Yes, this might not look normal, because it’s green and all, but with the holidays coming up this could pass as a Christmas pizza, right?I hope you enjoy this as much as we did!! All I added was sauce and cheese, and it was perfection.