Right now I’m off to Houston, Texas to meet with some amazing dietitians and food bloggers at the Food & Nutrition Conference and Expo.
Needless to say, I’m ecstatic. The last time I went to this conference was when I was in graduate school. The conference took place in Denver, Colorado that year, which was amazing because one of my best friends lives there so of course it was a win-win. This time I’m heading to Houston, which is a place I’ve never been, and where I don’t really know anyone (actually, as it turns out, I do, two friends from a previous job live in Houston so we’ll be meeting up!). Anyway, last time I went to this expo (which you can read more about here) I grabbed so many great goodies that I had plenty leftover for a fantastic giveaway on my blog. I’m hoping to do the same this year, so stay tuned! Check out my loot from the last conference;While the fun samples and coupons are one of the best parts of the conference, the speakers and education sessions are truly the part I look forward to most. You can read the list of seminars and topics going on each day here (you know, in case you’re ever interested in going yourself. Or, in case you want to see just how nerdy I really am!). Other than a great giveaway, I also have the following recipes coming up this month and next, on my blog;
- Stuffed Pumpkin and Ricotta Shells
- low FODMAPs Roasted Red Pepper Dressing and Butternut Squash
- Butternut Polenta Dessert with Coconut and Walnuts
- Slow Cooker Refried Beans
- Vegan Pumpkin Pie Tarts
- Pumpkin Ice Cream
- Vegan Cinnamon Mini Biscuits
Want to see the snacks I’ve packed for my trip? I pack snacks for two reasons a) to save money and b) because I like to stay at least somewhat healthy while traveling, and it’s hard to do that these days, don’t you think? The last time I had to have breakfast in an airport I was stuck with cold oatmeal as my healthiest option.
- Popcorn, popped with coconut oil (because I thought that would make it taste like coconut popcorn. But, sadly it didn’t. Don’t waste your coconut oil).
- Baked sweet potato and purple potato chips
- PB2, because I love to buy plain Chobani yogurt (I feel like I can find that anywhere these days) and mix my PB2 in there for peanut butter flavor. I also add it to oatmeal, or sometimes…cold cereal. Don’t judge.
- Mojo bars.They are one of the few bars that does not contian honey or agave, which I can’t eat because of FODMAPs. They also taste delectable.
- Bananas and clementines, because they are two very portable fruits, and I love them both (the banana might also be good with the PB2, after I mix it with water. Funny, I rarely eat PB2 as it’s intended to be eaten).
- Lindt’s dark chocolate. Yes, I’m a FREAK and I eat 90%. What’s wrong with me? I’m clearly not a “super-taster” because my taste buds can handle the most bitter foods available to man, and in fact I crave them (bitter beer? Yes please!).
And if you want some great recipes for the week, check out what I was posting last year at this time;
- Clean Eating’s Panko and Sage-Crusted Pork Cutlets
- Pumpkin and Oat Cookies (Gluten Free)
- Tempeh and Baby Bella Lasagna
- Seared Scallops with Pomegranate Sauce
- Shepherd’s Pie with Sweet Potato Topping
I’ll be back to the blog on Monday the 28th, with a fantastic giveaway. Get excited! Enjoy your weekend everyone. And, if you’re at FNCE, write a comment on the blog and we’ll meet up!
The Candid RD