A few weeks ago Nick and I had our friends Michelle and Sean over for dinner. I’ve never been much for throwing nice dinner parties, but I really had fun this time and I tried not to take it too seriously. Our kitchen/dining area is very small, but it worked out just fine. Our table was the perfect size for four people. The appetizer in the middle of the table was bruschetta (store bought, I’ll admit!). For dinner I made sea scallops with a tomato compote. I got the recipe from a local grocery store, but had to make some modifications because I do not eat onions or garlic.
Sea Scallops and Tomato Compote, Served Over Polenta
1 1/4 lbs. sea scallops
2 T olive oil (** I used 2 T Smart Balance butter blend sticks**)
1 small onion, chopped (** I used red peppers **)
1 clove garlic, crushed (** I used 2 tsp cumin **)
1 can diced tomatoes in juice
1 T red wine vinegar
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/4 tsp. salt
1/3 cup kalamata olives, pitted and chopped
- In 12-inch skillet, heat 1 T oil on medium heat until hot.
2. Add onion (red pepper for me!) and cook 6 to 8 minutes or until soft and golden, stirring occasionally.
3. Stir in garlic (cumin for me!); cook 1 minute
4. Add tomatoes with juice, vinegar, and 1/8 tsp. black pepper
5. Heat to boiling on medium-high
6. Cook 8 to 10 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally.
7. Stir in olives; transfer tomato compote to bowl; cover to keep warm
8. Meanwhile, prepare Microwave polenta (read directions on your polenta mix to see how much to make)
- Remove and discard tough crescent-shaped muscle from each scallop
10. Dry with paper towels (dry well).
11. Evenly season scallops, on both sides, with 1/4 tsp. salt and 1/8 tsp. pepper
12. In 12 inch skillet, heat remaining oil on medium-high heat until hot.
13. Add scallops and cook 5 minutes or until opaque throughout and lightly browned on both sides.
14. Serve with tomato compote and polenta
Everyone loved this! I was so proud Seriously, it tasted amazing. I could have easily consumed two plates full, but I was too busy drinking wine and making room for dessert. The dessert was simple, just an angel food cake served with gelato and fresh strawberries. I forgot to take a picture, so instead I will show you a picture of the chocolate chunk low-fat ice cream I made the other day!
Question: What was the last delicious meal you made for someone other than just yourself??
By the way, today is Sunday and I am actually not at work! I took this day off because I’m going shopping for some clothes and shoes with my very good friend Cathy. I’m officially sick of my clothes and I’ll admit I still wear some clothes from high school!! Hey, they still look good, why not?!