Simple, Simple, Simple Sauce
Recipe from Clean Eating Magazine
1.5 cups cherry or grape tomatoes
2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 Medjool date, pitted **
1/2 tsp ground oregano
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. dried rosemary
Directions: Add to a food processor or blender, and blend well.
**Note: The Medjool dates will contain FODMAPS , but this 1/2 date really shouldn’t cause any problems.
Option number two is slightly more difficult, but still quite easy! ….
- 4 large tomatoes (or ~ 20 Romas)
- 2 red bell peppers, diced fairly small, ~ 1inch
- 1 bay leaf
- ¼ cup fresh basil, packed
- ½ Tbsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- ~1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 3 tsp. Tuscan or garlic olive oil, divided
- Fresh ground pepper, to taste
- Dash of cinnamon
- Boil the tomatoes in a large saucepan until the skins are loose and begin to break away from the flesh. Allow the tomatoes to cool, then peel off the skins.
- In a skillet saute the red peppers with 1 tsp. olive oil until they are slightly browned (~5 minutes)
- In a large sauce pan add all the ingredients (the boiled tomatoes, with the skins removed, the sauteed red peppers, and all the remaining ingredients). With your spoon try to break the tomatoes apart so they aren’t in large chunks.
- Bring the sauce to a boil and then allow to simmer on low for ~40-60 minutes. Be sure to stir your sauce every 15 minutes, or so.
- Once the sauce has simmered for about an hour, allow to cool slightly then add to a blender. Blend until the sauce is nice and smooth.