I’m still on a quest to try all the different grains in our bulk department at work. Obviously I’ve tried quinoa before, but I’d never tried it in a baking recipe, until now. Prior to making these bars I’d only had quinoa in salads or casseroles. Why have I waited so long to use it in a sweet recipe?! Shame on me. I’ve been missing out. I’ll have to make up for lost time now…..
- 1½ cups cooked quinoa (this is a little less than ~3/4 cup dry, be sure to measure after it's cooked. You will have some leftover.)
- 1 cup brown rice flour
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup chia seeds
- 1 cup skim milk or unsweetened almond milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- ½ cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Allow your cooked quinoa to cool before starting to make this recipe. In a large bowl mix dry ingredients (cooked quinoa through chia seeds). In a separate smaller bowl, mix wet ingredients (milk through vanilla), except for the chocolate chips.
- Add wet to dry, stirring gently until mixed. Add in chocolate chips and mix.
- Poor batter into a greased baking pan (I used a square pan, about 2-inches deep)
- Pop it in the oven and bake about 28 minutes- fork check to make sure they are done.
|Estimated Nutrition Facts for 1/10th of recipe
I packed these in both Nick and my lunches for about a week after making these. They were just so filling and easy to pack in a work lunch. They tasted great without heating, but even better popped in the microwave for about 15 seconds to bring back some flavors. Please make these today, you won’t be sorry (and make a double batch so you can have plenty for lunches!).