Cinnamon Walnut Ice Cream

I had some cinnamon ice cream this weekend at Nick’s mom’s house, and fell in love. When I got home I set out to make my own, and must say I was pretty successful!

Cinnamon Walnut Ice Cream

INGREDIENTS
(Makes about 12-half cup servings)

2 cups chilled half and half
1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk

3/4 cup sugar
2 tsp cinnamon

1 tsp nutmeg

1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup chopped walnuts

DIRECTIONS

1. Mix the milk and sugar together in a bowl until sugar is well blended. Add the half and half and the spices, mix well (I use a whisk).

2. Put in an ice cream maker (after it’s been frozen according to directions) and churn for about 20 minutes.

** If you don’t have an ice cream maker add it to a popsicle mold and make cinnamon popsicles! Or you could make this into a milkshake by adding some vanilla frozen yogurt, pre-made, and blending. Yum, right?!**

3. Once the ice cream is done, add the chopped walnuts and blend well.

Nutrition Facts
(Serving Size, 1/2 cup)

Ok, so it’s loaded with calories, but you could lighten it up by doing the following;

• Use fat free half and half
  • Use a calorie free sugar, such as NuNaturals
  • Simple use a bit less sugar (maybe 2 T less)
  • Omit the walnuts
Or you could just ENJOY! We all need a splurge every once in a while, and it’s nice when your ice cream splurge is made with only seven ingredients, all of which you can pronounce :)

QUESTION: What’s your favorite flavor of ice cream this time of year? Another of my favorites is this butternut squash ice cream, which can also be made with pumpkin.

Did you see my butternut squash fries I posted on Saturday? We just picked the last of the squash from our garden so I have 2 or 3 more recipes to post, including butternut squash pizza and butternut squash spoon bread. Enjoy your Monday!

Comments

1. says

I’ve been stalking your blog since you posted about this cinnamon ice cream on Facebook. YUM! And it sounds so simple! Some ice cream recipes are a bit labor intensive, but not this! I can’t wait to give it a try. I may need to make that butternut squash ice cream recipe, too. Squash was on sale for $0.57/lb yesterday so…I stocked up…BIG time :) Have a great week, Gina!

2. says

I love cinnamon ice cream! Beautiful! :-) Such a gorgeous photo you took, too, with the pretty cinnamon sticks…

Since I keep longing for an ice cream maker and the purchase keeps getting posponed in favor of things like a new computer for Zach after his crashed… *sigh* I was very encouraged to read your suggestion of just freezing the mixture if one doesn’t have an ice cream maker!! If I were to employ this method, would you recommend still trying to “churn” it using a food processor or stand mixer, or simply stirring and freezing? Thanks, Gina!! Excited to try making some improvised ice cream next weekend! :-)

3. says

I’m so glad I found your blog today! Not only does that ice cream sound stellar, I’m also in Ohio! I’m at OSU studying Nutrition in Industry and Public Affairs Journalism. A supermarket dietitian sounds pretty much like a dream job to me! Can’t wait to read more :)
    Sarah

4. says

Sarah

5. says

This looks unreal – like your last comment you make me want to get an ice cream maker. Love the cinnamon/nutmeg combo.

Butternut squash fries look pretty amazing. I have a butternut sitting on my counter so I guess I should check your archives to find a fun new recipe :)

6. says

This sounds perfect for my ice cream maker! I made cinnamon ice cream for a Food Science class many, many years ago, and it was delicious! It happened to be around Christmas time, so I shared it with my family for Christmas dessert and everyone loved it. Your version with walnuts sounds very yummy. Time to bust out the ice cream maker!