While following a low FODMAP diet can be very difficult at times, it might be nice to know that there is still a plethora of great combinations that are low FODMAPs and rather tasty! Today I’ll share some of my favorites that I make from home, along with some of my favorite away-from-home orders.
At Home Lunch/Dinner Ideas
- Baked Potato with Broccoli (1/2 cup or less) and a small amount of sharp cheddar cheese. Add a dollop of plain Greek Yogurt for some more creaminess, and some Texas Pete’s hot sauce for some heat!
- Brown rice or quinoa with sauteed veggies (carrots, broccoli, zucchini, mung beans, kale), add a little soy sauce (if you have Celiac Disease look for one that is Gluten Free)
- Grilled salmon or chicken (with a simple oil and vinegar marinade, or just oil, salt and pepper) served over a salad of spinach with hard-boiled eggs, green or black olives, carrots, cucumber, and a bit more oil and vinegar
- Alternatively, serve with sauteed veggies (see example #2) and brown rice or quinoa
- Grilled hamburger (made from raw beef, salt and pepper), on Gluten Free bun with sharp cheddar, lettuce, tomato. Serve with oven baked potato fries.
- Pizza on the skillet; in a food processor at 1 cup old fashioned oats, 4 egg whites and 1 egg, plus a dash of salt and some Italian seasoning for flavor. Blend for about 20 seconds, pour onto a heated and sprayed skillet. Cook for about 3-4 minutes per side. Add toppings of your choice (Rao’s Sensitive Formula Marinara Sauce is lovely!) and broil on high for about 4-5 minutes. Makes 2 servings.
- Eggs; scrambled with some spinach and sharp cheddar or a little Swiss cheese. Serve with Gluten Free toast.
- Simple Carrot Ginger Soup
- Simple Slow Cooker Pulled Chicken(use a BBQ sauce from my list)
- Maple Dijon Cod
- Gluten Free pasta with Rao’s Sensitive Formula Marinara Sauce and freshly grated parmesan (add sauteed zucchini or roasted broccoli!)
- Deli sandwich with Gluten Free bread, nitrate-free turkey breast, lettuce, tomato, mayo and maybe some fresh red pepper, cucumber and black olives (my favorite, toasted with some Swiss cheese)
Eating Out Lunch/Dinner Ideas
- Salad with protein added (hold the onions), ask for oil and vinegar for dressing
- If Gluten Free pasta available, ask for it with olive oil and fresh parmesan
- Burger on a Gluten Free Bun with Swiss cheese or sharp cheddar, order of fries or a side salad without onion (oil and vinegar on side for dressing).
- Grilled protein (most places offer salmon or chicken), ask for it with only salt and pepper seasoning if possible. Sides might include brown rice, steamed broccoli or green beans, spinach, mashed potatoes or roasted redskins
- Baked potato with sour cream, bacon, broccoli
- Side fries
- Salad; Side Salad or Power Mediterranean (omit onion, ask for oil and vinegar)
- Salad is pretty much the only option (NOTE: The following salads contain FODMAPs but should be handled by most individuals as long as oil and vinegar is used to replace dressing)
- Fuji Apple Salad with Chicken
- Chinese Citrus Cashew Salad with Chicken
- Green Goddess Cobb Salad with Chicken
- Chipotle is difficult, as there is onion just about everywhere you look! The following options are lower in FODMAPs, but not FODMAP free
- Bowl – With brown rice, light black beans, corn, tomato, lettuce (note: without being rude, pick out the onion!)
- Corn Tacos – with chicken, lettuce light sour cream
- Salad – Lettuce, light beans, corn, tomato (pick out onion!), add chicken if you want. The chicken is marinated in seasoning with onion, but if you’re not really sensitive it would be ok.
What are your favorite go-to low FODMAP dinners, lunches or foods to eat out?