How was everyone’s Memorial Day? Ours was spent planting our garden (and getting some sun, vitamin D, and bug bites)! I’ll be posting about it on Thursday. I’m starting to think we may have more produce than we can handle, but it never hurts giving some away, right? We could have our own farmer’s market in our backyard!
My mom brought this fantastic chicken dish over for dinner the other night. She has been making this dish since I was young because she got it out of the Columbus Dispatch in 1980. Apparently the Dispatch has a recipe contest every year (how come I didn’t know that?!) and this was the winner in 1980.
“Drool Worthy” Avocado Chicken
4 chicken breasts -boneless
2 T cornstarch
1 t ground cumin
1 tsp garlic salt
1 egg, slightly beaten
1 T water
1/3 c cornmeal
3 T vegetable oil
1 firm ripe avocado, peeled,sliced
1 1/2 c shredded Monterey Jack cheese
1/2 c sour cream
1/4 c sliced green onions, tops only
1/4 c chopped red pepper
1) On a hard surface, with meat mallet or similar flattening utensil, pound chicken to 1/4 inch thickness.
2) In shallow dish, mix together cornstarch, cumin, and garlic salt. Add chicken, 1 piece at a time, dredging to coat.
3) In small bowl mix egg and water. In another small bowl place cornmeal. Dip chicken, first in egg and then in cornmeal, turning to coat.
4) In large fry pan, place oil and heat to medium temperature; add chicken and cook 2 minutes on each side. Remove chicken to shallow baking pan; place avocado slices over chicken and sprinkle with cheese. Bake in 350* oven about 15 minutes or until fork can be inserted in chicken with ease and cheese melts.
5) Top chicken with sour cream, dividing equally; sprinkle with green onion and red pepper. Garnish with cherry tomatoes and parsley. Makes 4 servings.Score: 9.5 out of 10!
(For One Serving)
SOURCE: CalorieCount.comHealthier Modifications
– Use reduced fat or fat free cheese (reduced fat cheese will melt better than fat free)
– Use plain Greek yogurt instead of sour cream
– Use egg beaters instead of an egg (this isn’t necessarily healthier, but it will decrease the calories and fat just a bit)
I won’t hear about my job until later this week (keep your fingers crossed!). I will be telling you all about it at the end of the week, regardless of if I even get the job. Until then I will be seducing you with more sweet treats…… Tomorrow; DARK CHOCOLATE SORBET!
Thanks for reading, and have a good Monday…I mean…TUESDAY! Feels like Monday, right?!