Hello readers! Welcome to my blog. My name is Gina and I’m a Registered Dietitian from Columbus, Ohio. I graduated from Miami University with a Bachelor’s degree in Dietetics, then graduated from The Ohio State University with a Master’s degree in Human Nutrition. I currently work full time as a university dietitian, after three years working as a supermarket dietitian (very different jobs, but also very rewarding and challenging in the best ways possible). I call myself The Candid RD because, well, I’m honest about my opinions on foods, products, and nutrition information. I started this blog because I got sick and tired of hearing and reading false and misleading nutrition information everywhere. The public is mislead so often and my goal is to clear some things up for you, my loyal readers, as much as possible. While my blog is mainly recipes, I try to post about products, nutrition news, or some type of controversial topic once or twice a month.
Ok, so a little about me….five years ago my husband (then my fiance) and I moved into a new house, which we’ve been frantically trying to decorate and make into “our home” ever since. It’s tough owning a home, but the rewards are worth every penny.
Nick and I are BIG Ohio State fans. Here we are at the National Championship game in 2007. This was before we got our butts kicked by some nasty team down south.
You know what they say, dating makes you gain weight. In my case it was a good thing. I had an eating disorder from my junior year in high school, through my junior year in college. It was never life threatening (or at least never bad enough to be hospitalized, but I guess you could argue it was life-threatening), however I restricted my fat intake enough for there to be lasting effects, both physical and emotional. Even though I was healed by the time I met Nick, I still had some disordered eating tendencies and he helped me put on a much needed ten pounds and to finally feel amazing about my body, and myself.
I know a lot about nutrition and I always try to practice what I preach, which means eating healthy about 90% of the time, and enjoying an indulgence at least once a day (for me it’s homemade ice cream, Lindt’s dark chocolate, and sometimes a really good beer!). Get used to seeing a lot of this on my blog:
Life is a journey, and a fun one at that. I like to try to live like a child, and laugh as much as possible. I like to live by a child’s food philosophy as well; eat when you are hungry, and don’t eat when you are not. In other words, be an intuitive eater. At the same time, listen to what your mother always told you and “Keep your choices varied, eat plenty of fruits and vegetables, and choose sweets and alcohol in moderation!!” (my mom truly used to say stuff like that). What’s moderation, exactly? Good question. I try to eat healthy about 90% of the time, and the other 10% I splurge. That’s my “moderation”, and it seems to work for me!
Have I mentioned I’m a new mom? I say “new”, but Paige was born in August, 2014, so you know, not exactly “new” anymore. She is the reason I wake up every morning. Here she is at 6-months eating a broccoli spear. We decided to use the Baby Led Weaning method with her (in addition to purees). Read more here.
Thanks for stopping by!