Ok so I know I wrote a book called “Cooking with Paige” (see it on the right sidebar if you’re interested!) but in reality my Paige doesn’t exactly help much in the kitchen. She really just…eats. No matter what I make; smoothies for daddy, cookies, salad, salsa, tacos, pasta, she attempts to help but ends up mainly eating the ingredients instead. Unfortunately for her, as I made this watermelon salsa and she begged and begged for samples, I had to hold her back because watermelon are super high in FODMAPs. Why didn’t I choose to make this recipe with cantaloupe or honeydew instead? I bet it would be just as delicious!
- 3 cups chopped watermelon **
- ½ cup chopped green bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon chopped green onions **
- 1 tablespoon chopped jalapeno pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- In a large bowl, combine the watermelon, green bell pepper, lime juice, cilantro, green onions, jalapeno and garlic salt. Mix well and serve.
I’ve made this salsa many, many times. It’s pretty, and always a crowd favorite. I like to make it a day ahead of time because the watermelon juices start to come out and it turns more “salsa-like” after about 12 to 24 hours (i.e.: watery, and not looking like a salad!). I prefer blue corn chips, and especially ones that are extra thick. Thin chips just break with this salsa.