My Top 10 Weight Loss and Management Foods/Products

With the new year approaching fast, I thought I would share with you my top ten favorite weight loss/management foods and products (notice, they are mainly foods, because as you know I’m not a fan of gimmicks and I truly believe weight loss happens best when you eat the right foods and stay active).  Without further ado, here they are, in no particular order;

1.  Greek Yogurt

Let’s see here; tons of protein, and a small amount of sugar, plus calcium? What’s not to love? I always recommend Greek yogurt over regular yogurt, to all of my clients.  Yes, the Greek varieties also contain live and active cultures, so have no fear.  And I do recommend the plain (gasp!) because it contains much less sugar than the flavored varieties.  Now, don’t eat it plain, please (gross), unless you are using it as a sour cream substitute (which works really well, by the way). Instead, jazz up your plain Greek yogurt with parfaits, or frozen blueberries, PB2, Stevia, whatever!

6004c8da2e9411e3895a22000a1fc66c_8

2.  La Croix, or other sparkling beverage (calorie free, and free of artificial flavors/colors).

I think sparkling water is a trend that is here to stay.  I told you I asked for a Soda Stream for Christmas, right?  No sweet syrups needed, I just want the plain water with bubbles!  The bubbles actually make you feel full and the sting of carbonation is actually something that humans love (you don’t need the sugar, the carbonation should be stimulating enough!).

9f9665ec422311e3822b22000a1f901c_8

3.  PB2

I’m addicted.  I’ll admit it. I go through this stuff like it’s not going to be manufactured anymore or something.  It’s sad, really.  You see, it only has 50 calories in 2 Tbsp, which is one-fourth the amount of actual peanut butter.  Now, I know what you’re thinking; it doesn’t taste like peanut butter.  True, it doesn’t.  But with PB2 I can add peanut butter flavor to things like smoothies, oatmeal, and yogurt, without adding a ton of calories (I typically use it in it’s powder form, rather than adding water to it and making it a paste).

a3de66a24d7e11e3bb0012c463b4fba8_8

4.  Chia Seeds

Ever since Dr. Oz talked about chia seeds on his show a few years ago, people just can’t seem to get enough. I think it’s one of the few things Dr. Oz got right (maybe because it’s actually a food, not a supplement?!).  Chia seeds are so versatile and can be used in many recipes (quick: type “chia seed recipes” into your browser or Pinterest and you will find out what I mean).  They form a gel when added to water, and also when ingested by you. Therefore they can help keep you full for a long time.  They also contain an excellent source of fiber, which helps with that satiety factor.  They are tasteless, so they are a great seed to just add to…whatever.

107863fc551e11e3ad9212062b8fc698_8

5.  Beanitos

If you haven’t tried Beanitos yet, well, you’re missing out.  You see, there are so many “bean chips” on the shelves out there, that contain wheat or corn as the first ingredient, and then something like “bean powder” as the third or fourth ingredient.  In other words, they aren’t true bean chips.  Beanitos, on the other hand, have “whole beans” as the first ingredient, and therefore provide 4-6 grams of satiating protein and fiber per serving.  That’s amazing!  They basically taste like a crispy bean (although the tortilla chips really don’t taste like beans at all, they are such a secretly healthier treat!). Check out their website to learn more, and look for these chips in the chip aisle of your supermarket (I suggest trying them with nachos.  And don’t tell anyone they are made with beans. Muahaha)

cd61e7ac39cd11e3964f22000ae801df_8

6.  CLA (Conjugated Linoleic Acid)

I rarely promote weight loss supplements (actually, I never do) but CLA is a fatty acid that, at least from research done so far, is safe.  It’s actually found naturally in foods such as grassfed beef.  Read below to see what studies have shown about it’s effectiveness.  This blurb is from the Natural Standards Database.  It’s very clear that more research is needed, but if I’m going to recommend something for weight loss, I would likely start with this (although Alli is another one I’ve recommended in the past).  I think many of the studies that have been done with CLA were not long-term.  I’m guessing more long-term studies would show a benefit, but who knows? Of course, talk to your doctor before considering any supplement (or drug, like Alli).

Screen shot 2013-12-08 at 5.12.44 PM

7.  Non-starchy Vegetables (especially zucchini and spaghetti squash)

Vegetables will always be considered a healthy food. Never will you read a research paper that claims “as it turns out, vegetables aren’t as good for us as we once thought!”.  Nope. I can guarantee you right now that will never happen.  It’s clear that vegetables play an important role not only in health, but also weight management.  Non-starchy vegetables are great because they have very few calories and carbohydrates, and can add a lot of volume to your plate (remember my post about volumetrics?).  Some examples of non-starchy vegetables include carrots, mushrooms, broccoli, cauliflower, spaghetti squash, spinach, kale, and one of my favorites; zucchini.  Check out my zucchini “noodle” recipe below (a great way to have “pasta” without all the carbs!).

DSC_1922

Click on the photo to get the recipe for zucchini “noodles” with oat-filled turkey meatballs.

DSC_2715

And of course you can always eat spaghetti squash for your “pasta”. Spaghetti squash is the only non-starchy winter squash.

8.  Unsweetened Cocoa Powder

Similar to PB2, I can’t go a day without adding unsweetened cocoa powder to something.  You see, I’m a women with a major slight chocolate addiction.  It doesn’t help that I live with a man who also has this addiction (who knew men could love chocolate as much as women?!).  I add this to oatmeal, Greek yogurt, pancakes, whatever, just so I can get that chocolatey flavor without all the sugar and calories.  Of course I also eat the real stuff; my favorite is Lindt’s 70-90% dark chocolate.  Dark chocolate is a great choice because it’s lower in sugar than milk chocolate.  See, you can have your chocolate, and eat it too.

DSC_2883

9.  NuGo Slim Bars

The only bar I’ve ever known to have only 2-3 grams of sugar and zero artificial sweeteners (including zero bloat-inducing sugar alcohols!).  Have I mentioned that they also have an excellent source of fiber, protein and (in my opinion) they taste delicious?!  Having worked at a supermarket that sells these for a couple years, I’ll tell you the most popular flavor was the Raspberry Truffle. So, give them a try today!

Screen shot 2013-12-08 at 5.38.14 PM

Read more about this product by clicking on the photo.

10.  Coffee

I could have said “caffeine”, but then I’d be promoting another drug/supplement for weight loss (the CLA and Alli were enough).  Instead I’ll say coffee, because as much as you read about the potential negative effects of caffeine, it’s very rare that you ever read about negative effects of coffee.  In fact, it’s more common to find research that supports coffee as a potent source of antioxidants, which it is.  It helps that coffee contains caffeine, which as I said can pose some health risks if you consume more than about 400 mg per day (the amount in about two tall Starbucks drinks) or if you consume your caffeine via supplements that are still not required to disclose caffeine amount (so annoying), but caffeine consumed in a safe amount (and via coffee or even teas like black and green) is healthy, in my opinion.  There is some research to support that caffeine can reduce your appetite, and speed up metabolism. I use caffeine (~65 mg) to help prepare me for my early morning workouts.  It truly helps!

iStock_000009545732XSmall

There you have it, my top ten list of weight loss and management products.  Now, what would you add to the list?

Enjoy your weekend everyone!

Comments

1. says

Coffee and chocolate made the list, hooray for that!

I’ve been seeing a lot about PB2 and am conflicted. My instinct would tell me to stay away from something like this because it’s a more processed form than just peanuts ground into butter. But on the other hand it seems like it would be a easy way to add flavoring and protein into a variety of foods without the calories. I’d be interested in hearing any additional thoughts you have! -K
    Kerry @ The Adventures of Z & K recently posted…[St. Lucia] Stress and SunshineMy Profile

• Gina says

Hi Kerry! Yes, the PB2 is slightly processed, obviously, compared to normal peanut butter. But hey, the ingredients are all recognizable and to me that makes it a winner! It adds great flavor to smoothies, oatmeal, and greek yogurt. I can’t get enough.

2. says

Great list!! I love many of these products myself! I also adore coconut flour for it’s benefits for adding fiber, and it lowers calories of foods, along with stabilizing blood sugar level. PS- Have you ever had Protein Plus peanut flour? It tastes better than PB2 to me, and has no added salt or sugar. It’s also light roasted!:)
    Heather @ The Soulful Spoon recently posted…Good Luck Vegetable Soup: A Recipe Redux Special – Vegan, Gluten-Free, Grain-Free, Soy-Free, Sugar-FreeMy Profile

• Gina says

Ok so I’ve never tried coconut flour, but really want to (it’s so expensive and I don’t know how often I would use it….so….you know…the cheapo in me is coming out!. I have not heard of Protein PLus Peanut Flour, but I’ll be honest I can’t imagine it tasting better than PB2 without salt or sugar added (but hey, as a dietitian and foodie, I say why not try?! IF it’s healthier AND tastes better..that’s a win win).

3. says

Good day! I know this is kind of off topic but I was wondering if you knew where I could get a captcha plugin for my comment form?
    I’m using the same blog platform as yours and I’m having problems finding one?
    Thanks a lot!
    download recently posted…downloadMy Profile

4. says

Many thanks for every other educational web page. The place more might I receive that form of details designed in such a great manner? I own a vision that i am simply at this moment functioning in, so i are already at the watch out for this kind of facts.

5. says

The area in which you mount or position your HDTV ought to be something that will not receive excessive light coming in the outside.
    Entertainment has become a significant part
    of our lives. Tell your readers why you have recommended
    these systems.
    gimmebar.Com recently posted…gimmebar.ComMy Profile

6. says

Finally, time may be read in 12 or 24 hour format, the auto-calendar is pre-programmed until
    the season 2099, it includes 4 daily alarms with snooze function,
    and more. Because this G-shock is mud, dust and shock
    resistant. The RISEMAN, which can be designed for aviators and high altitude sports, like skiing, snowboarding, mountain bike racing as well as the like.
    casio g-shock atomic digital sport gw6900 1 recently posted…casio g-shock atomic digital sport gw6900 1My Profile

7. says

After looking into a handful of the blog posts on your web site, I seriously like your way of writing a blog.
    I bookmarked it to my bookmark webpage list and will
    be checking back in the near future. Take a look at my
    web site as well and tell me your opinion.
    Katherin recently posted…KatherinMy Profile

8. says

Nice and useful product for weight loss… you must add the raspberry products and supplement that have number of benefits in weight loss issues… thanks to share these products here…
    surender recently posted…30 Day PowderToxMy Profile

9. says

Amazing beat! I would like to beginner concurrently just like you fix your internet site, precisely how could i actually register for just a blog page web-site? The actual account helped me a appropriate deal. I was slightly well known with this the transmitted furnished brilliant crystal clear concept

10. says

National Memory Screening DayFree, confidential mermoy screenings for anyone concerned about mermoy loss and early Alzheimer’s disease detection and intervention, sponsored by Visiting Angels in cooperation with the Alzheimer’s Foundation of America.WHEN:Tuesday November 13 2012Noon 4pmWHERE:Avalon Missionary Church. 1212 Lower Huntington Rd. Fort Wayne IN 46819INFO:National Memory Screening Day is an annual initiative of the Alzheimer’s Foundation of America (AFA). Visiting Angels is proud to be a partner in this important first step in finding out if someone has a mermoy problem, and in helping patients and families become aware of the resources and assistance that is available.While a mermoy screening is not a substitute for a consultation with a physician, it can help to determine whether additional testing is warranted. With as many as 5.1 million Americans living with Alzheimer’s disease, and many more with mild cognitive impairment and dementia, early detection and intervention can be critical to making informed decisions for greater health and quality of life.For more information on mermoy screening and resources to assist with ageing in place, cognitive impairment, mild dementia, or Alzheimer’s disease, contact Visiting Angels at 260-482-CARE (2273).

11. says

I drop a leave a response each time I appreciate a post on a website or I have something to add to the discussion. Usually it is triggered
    by the sincerness communicated in the post I
    looked at. And on this post My Top 10 Weight Loss and Management Foods/Products – The Candid RD.
    I was excited enough to drop a leave a responsea response :-P
    I actually do have some questions for you if it’s allright.
    Could it be just me or do some of the responses appear like
    coming from brain dead people? :-P And, if you are writing at additional places, I would like to keep up with everything fresh you have to
    post. Could you make a list all of your public sites like your twitter feed, Facebook
    page or linkedin profile?
    Freeman recently posted…FreemanMy Profile

12. says

This will help you lose greater because it is all out of strong
    determination on your own, quickly, however, to help
    them lose weight fast like what The Biggest Loser.
    If you are on the road contour while at the comfort of home!

Fast weight loss tips and tricks. Frequent small portion as
    part of that weight you’ve always aspired to lose
    belly fat. Folks can simply drink plenty of water thru out the window.
    That s the amount of weight loss diet.
    top 5 diet pills that work recently posted…top 5 diet pills that workMy Profile

13. says

I’ve been exploring for a little for any high-quality articles or weblog posts on this kind of house .
    Exploring in Yahoo I at last stumbled upon this site.

Reading this info So i am satisfied to exhibit that I’ve an incredibly
    just right uncanny feeling I came upon just what I needed.
    I most without a doubt will make sure to do not forget this site and give it a
    look on a continuing basis.
    rambut indah recently posted…rambut indahMy Profile

14. says

Any rapid weight loss can in fact, it is often a not a good program of exercise, and you tend to gain weight.
    This can also help you fight emotional complexities. Generic fad diets and cause several nutritional otc diet pills that work fast deficiencies and other sweets being high in quality.
    What I have lost weight, you can initiate a relapse.
    The liver assists in maintaining your personal believed procedures,
    that is took a seat and waited. Reactions to an ad about a bride should
    ask herself is why most get a mention.
    diet pills that work fast for women over the counter recently posted…diet pills that work fast for women over the counterMy Profile

15. says

Rosie in AK:If its still in question why some cooshe to eat so much Greek yogurt as if its another chia seed to encourage weightloss- but we eat it because the thick plain yogurt tastes better than sour cream on my spicy turkey & yam tacos. Mmm it pairs nicely with the heat.I also thought it was healthier because in addition to the probiotics and good bacteria it had a good amount of protein in it. Jamie Lee Curtis on that yuck yogurt I am certain they got in trouble for saying it helps more so than other yogurts for digestion and they have no back up to say so.