When I first saw Grace’s recipe for “Tofu Eggless Salad” I was bummed because I really dislike tofu, but I loved the recipe. So I thought… I’ll use tempeh! Right away I googled, “Can you eat raw tempeh?!”. I knew the answer had to be yes, because after all it is a vegetable (a bean, to be precise) but I wasn’t sure if it was normal to eat it raw. I soon found that while it may not be the norm to eat raw tempeh, it’s been done before and it’s not too strange. That’s how this recipe came to fruition.
- 8 ounces tempeh **
- ½ cup plain Greek Yogurt (or vegan mayo)
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- ¼ cup olives (I used green)
- 3 Tbsp. parsley
- 2 Tbsp. nutritional yeast
- 2 Tbsp. dijon mustard
- ½ tsp. turmeric
- ¼ tsp. smoked paprika
- ¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
- Pepper to taste
- Chop the tempeh into small chunks (~1/4 inch) and add to a medium bowl. Add the remaining ingredients and mix until well-incorporated. Scoop onto your favorite bread, serve and enjoy!
Once I made this, I couldn’t stop eating it. I grabbed one of our giant forks from the drawer (the fork I typically use for large salads or to serve large meats) and I dug in. HA! NOTE: I actually grated my carrots into strips, but I would recommend shopping them to make this easier to eat.
I packed this in my lunch for a couple days, without any bread. I enjoyed every bite. And of course it tasted amazing on an English Muffin.
(Serving Size: 1/5th of recipe)
Have a great day!