Gluten-Free Fig, Apple, and Sage Stuffing (Meatless Monday)

Ok, yes, this is a blog post repeat from last year.  But I thought it was so tasty that I should post it again.  This gluten-free stuffing recipe is both family and customer approved (I made this at the demo kitchen where I work and handed it out to customers last year, and it was very well received).

For many people the stuffing is a very important part of the Thanksgiving feast (I am one of those people), so my goal was to make a a gluten-free stuffing recipe that was as traditional as possible for my aunt, uncle, and cousin who are all following gluten-free diets. Of course I love having a gluten-free stuffing too because I am on a wheat-free diet (or at least I try to be). The only problem is that it’s loaded with figs, apples, and onions, all things I try to avoid on my low FODMAPs diet. Oh well, Thanksgiving will have to be a day of thanks, and a bit of suffering for me :)

This recipe was adapted from a recipe I found in Clean Eating Magazine. Enjoy!

Gluten-Free Fig, Apple, and Sage Stuffing

Prep time

Cook time

Total time

Author:
Serves: 10-15

Ingredients
  • ·2 loaves Gluten Free whole grain bread (brand of your choice), chopped into ½-inch cubes
  • ·1 T olive oil
  • ·2 to 3 carrots, peeled and finely chopped
  • ·3 to 4 celery ribs, finely chopped
  • ·1 large white onion, finely chopped
  • ·1 t dried thyme
  • ·1 t chili powder
  • - 1 t rosemary
  • · 2 t sea salt
  • ·Fresh ground black pepper, to taste
  • ·10 to 12 unsweetened dried figs, chopped
  • ·2 gala apples (or Macintosh), cored and chopped
  • ·3-4 cup low-sodium chicken broth, plus additional as needed
  • ·2 T chopped fresh sage
  • OPTIONAL:  Top with a gluten free gravy, which can be made using one of these gluten free thickeners.

Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.Divide bread among 2 rimmed baking sheets and arrange in a single layer; transfer to oven and bake for 6 to 8 minutes, stirring once, until lightly toasted.
  2. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, heat oil on medium-high.Add carrots, celery and onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, 8 to 10 minutes.Stir thyme, rosemary, chile powder, salt and pepper.Add figs and apples and stir well to combine.Remove from heat, add bread and stir to combine.Stir in broth.Stuffing should be uniformly moist but not wet. Stir in sage.
  3. Coat a large baking dish with olive oil cooking spray and add stuffing.Drizzle with an additional 1 to 1 ½ cups broth (you want the consistency to be moist, but not wet).Cover with foil and bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes.Remove foil and bake until the top is lightly browned, 10 to 15 minutes. Serve hot.

QUESTION: What’s your favorite part of the traditional Thanksgiving meal? For me it’s stuffing. I also love turkey with cranberry sauce on top.
Oh, and I also really love leftovers the next day!
Thanks for reading!

The Candid Rd

Comments

1. says

What an awesome ingredient combo! I’ve never had figs in stuffing, but they are one of my favorite fall treat. I just made a quinoa stuffing yesterday. It was nice and light and delicious. Although, my mom’s bread stuffing is definitely my favorite part of every Thanksgiving meal!

2. says

This is terrific. I love the addition of fig. These days there are so many people trying to eat gluten free, that I try to make as many dishes as I can gluten free. Have a terrific holiday!

3. says

mmm this looks incredible! I am attending a Canadian thanksgiving celebration in New York as a lot of us aren’t making the crowded trip home this year. i might just have to try this!

my favorite thing is absolutely garlic mashed potatoes. i could JUST eat them for thanksgiving and be happy

4. says

I’ve rarely had a “traditional” Thanksgiving meal, but I do love stuffing, and yours sound wonderful. But one time my friend made this corn pudding that was OUT of the world! But I guess that’s not real thanksgiving food?

5. says

Stuffing is my favorite part of the meal too! Your recipe looks delicious! We’re headed to my in-laws for Thanksgiving and I have volunteered to make stuffing…now I may be bringing this!

6. says

Yes~ Love this! hmm, i don’t think you can make a fig, apple and sage stuffing sans figs and apples. haha.

My favorites change every year I swear, I always hated my mom’s cranberry relish when I was young but now LOVE it so much. I don’t like it on the turkey though…

7. says

I LOVE Clean Eating Magazine!! I love figs too and never have the opportunity to incorporate them into anything…what a great natural sweetness it must bring to the dish!
    I am making a raw sugar free (has dates) cranberry relish this year. Little nervousness about it because I love it so much on my gobble gobble too. Happy Tday!!!

8. says

thanksgiving is not special to me but in china we have a new year celebration that is similar in concept, that family must be reunited! I think I enjoy th most the get together of the close families and friends.
    this year I’m throwing a party at home inviting friends, I hope from now on thanksgiving become important to us too! :)

• says

Well, BT first ya gotta find out who has the best gravy making sklils! I think its easy, but it seems to so many other people its as if you have to have a flippin’ college degree in the Gravy Arts. So, what would that be a GA instead of a BA?? ha ha. Personally, its the only thing I treasure out of my first marriage learning how to make fool proof gravy. HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYBODY!!!!May you all sleep with full tummies and awake with nary a hangover to be found. lol~ H.S.(ps on this video apparently the guy has dealt with these infections in the past, and this is mild for him. I would assume given previous experiences he knows what he’s doing. ;P )

• says

Hey Joe Runner, My family and I will be trenlaivg up from Florida to Louisville for Thanksgiving. We would love to run this 5 miler Thanksgiving morning. Is there a chance you could send me a copy of the registration? Thanks!