My Version of Thai Peanut Noodles With Shrimp

I’m all about taking recipes from magazines, especially magazines like Clean Eating. I seriously love all of their recipes (although I’ll admit, I do not love all of their nutrition information, it’s not always accurate….). The July edition had this wonderful recipe for Thai Peanut Noodles with Shrimp.

It looked absolutely delicious, so of course I had to make it. I’m not one to go out and buy a bunch of new ingredients just to make one dish, because I can’t stand letting food go to waste (and that’s inevitably what happens when I buy unique ingredients for new recipes). I also have to modify recipes because of my low FODMAPs diet (such as the honey in this recipe). So, I took this recipe and made it my own, using the ingredients I already had in my kitchen.

Picture Source: Clean Eating Magazine

Gina’s Version of Thai Peanut Noodles With Shrimp
Makes ~ 8 servings

1/3 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk **
1/3 cup no-salt-added tomato juice
1/4 cup unsalted, natural peanut butter (smooth or crunchy)
1 T low sodium soy sauce
1 T sesame oil

2 T lime juice (fresh)
1 T molasses
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper

1 pound frozen, pre-cooked shrimp (or fresh!)
12 ounces whole wheat penne (~ 5 cups cooked) **
3 T parsley
3 T basil
3 T unsalted peanuts

Add avocado if you want. It adds even more creaminess and deliciousness **

**NOTE:  This recipe still contains FODMAPs, so if you are on a low FODMAPs diet  be warned that you should use soy milk instead of almond (although the almond milk might be fine too, it’s mostly water!), and look for gluten-free pasta.  Also, be careful with the avocado, use only 1/4th cup or less, if you decide to add it to the recipe.

This is Nick’s bowl (below). He added some Red Hot to his, because he can’t eat anything without Red Hot (well, neither can I, but I didn’t need it for this dish).

Here is my bowl (below). I served my pasta over some steamed veggies since I can’t really eat a lot of wheat at one sitting without getting bloated (FODMAPs!). This was also a great way to add more volume to my meal without tons of calories, and with extra fiber. It was delicious.

Nutrition Facts
(Serving size, 1/8th of recipe)

Source

QUESTION: Do you modify recipes? Do you like peanut butter in your noodles??

Comments

1. says

okay your last two recipes are GENIUS. i’m in love with the idea of adding nutmeg to chicken. um wha? that actually goes together? yum! bookmarked officiallllly

and i pretty much love anything that involves shrimp and sesame oil and throw some peanut butter in there and you got me gooood. so both are bookmarked or when i scream for recipes can you remind me of these? thank you xoxox

2. says

Yum, looks so delicious. I am a big fan of modifying recipes too because I never have all the random things! Have you ever tried the rice noodles from Trader Joes? I think they would work well with this recipe and that would prevent you having to eat too much wheat :)

3. says

I love pad Thai, specially the shrimp kind!!!
    yours looks fantastic. I think I do modifications based on ingredients that I have on hand but if I really want the original taste, I’d do exactly what the recipe says. But otherwise I like play around mixing recipes!

4. says

Peanut butter in anything is perfect in my opinion :) Love pb noodles. Is evaporated cane syrup something to watch out for with fodmaps? I’m going to order the booklet just wish it would get here sooner!

5. says

I’m actually not a big fan of PB, but I love it in savory dishes, so long as it’s in small doses. I like that you used almond milk here. I love cooking with almond milk; it gives a smooth, nuttiness that dairy cannot.

I never follow a recipe. You might already know that! :-)

6. says

This sounds great and yes I do like PB in pasta, because it’s that whole Asian flavor thing. I could actually eat PB just about anywhere. I modify things too, mostly for personal preference with taste.

7. says

I do modify recipes to a point, but with something like a pad thai, I wouldn’t go as far as you did. The fish sauce adds that authentic flavour, and I would go with the coconut milk as well, but I’m a stickler for things like that. I’d probably make sure I used rice noodles as well.

Damnit, now I have a total craving for pad thai.

8. says

I like PB on anything. I’ve actually never used molasses (saw was an ingredient). This looks great, I love all thai-inspired dishes. I totally concur about Clean Eating’s nutrition. They need you on their editorial board.

9. says

I hardly ever follow a recipe… In fact, I often joke that I can’t follow a recipe! Your version of peanut noodles sounds wonderful! And, yes, I love peanut sauce, but I have to be very careful when I eat it as my gallstones are not too fond of it…

10. says

This looks delicious! I’m always modifying recipes just because I don’t have what it calls for… takes a pretty special recipe for me to plan in advance to make it to the letter!