A few weeks ago I made a new black bean burger recipe for dinner and as we were eating Nick said, “I haven’t had any meat this entire day.” In other words, Nick took part in an unintentional “Meatless Monday!”. I was so impressed.
The black bean burger recipe was from Grace at Food, Fitness, FreshAir. As always, I made my own modifications to the recipe. The ingredients highlighted in red were omitted or modified.
- 15oz. can black beans, drained, rinsed, and patted dry
- 1 red onion, ½ thinly sliced, remaining ½ finely chopped (**contain FODMAPs**)
- ½ red bell pepper, diced
- 1 fresh jalapeno, de-seeded and minced
- 1 cup corn (**buy something other than sweet corn if you don't want FODMAPs**)
- ¾ cup whole-wheat breadcrumbs (about 2 slices, toasted and processed) (**buy gluten free if you don't want FODMAPs**)
- 1 Tbsp. chili powder
- 2 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1 Tbsp. + 1 tsp. vegan Worcestershire sauce (** I used 2 tsp. Frank's Red Hot, which contain a small amount of FODMAPs **)
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 cup cilantro, tightly packed
- 2-3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 5-6 whole-wheat hamburger buns (**Use gluten-free if you don't want FODMAPs**)
- Vegenaise or mayo. (**Nick and I used a bit of BBQ sauce to top off our buns**)
- Heat 1 Tbsp. olive oil in large nonstick skillet. Saute pepper and corn until peppers are tender. Stir in chili pepper, paprika, salt, Frank's Red Hot, and cook another 1-2 minutes.
- Transfer ½ of the mixture into a food processor, scraping any spices remaining on bottom of the pan. Add the beans and breadcrumbs. Puree until smooth. Add parsley, and pulse until combined. Stir in remaining corn/pepper mixture.
- Return nonstick skillet to stove and place over medium-high heat. Coat bottom of pan with a light layer of olive oil. Shape bean mixture into 8 burgers. Cook burgers 2-4 at a time, until outer edges are crisp, about 5-6 minutes.
- Toast your whole wheat buns and add your favorite condiment (and cheese if you want!).
I am definitely a bean burger lover now! These burgers were delicious. Thanks Grace!
QUESTION: Any big plans for the week and upcoming holiday weekend? Nick and I are having our second annual “Fourth of July Party” so we’ve got a lot of work to do to prepare. I’m very excited though, I love throwing parties!