I recently tasted one of the most amazing salads, EVER. It was created by our neighbor, Katie, and when I asked her for the recipe she basically just gave me the list of ingredients and told me she just adds everything together, without measuring. Well, as strange at that sounds, it works! This is a “must-try”.
Cherry tomato (halved)
– Contains whole grains (quinoa is a whole grain, and it’s gluten free)
– Good source of protein (from the feta cheese and quinoa, both of which are complete proteins)
– The olive oil contains monounsaturated fats, which may help reduce inflammation and increase good cholesterol
– Contains lycopene (from the tomatoes), which promotes skin, heart and prostate health
– Contains beta carotene (from the carrots), which promotes skin and heart health, and may play a role in cancer prevention
– Contains healthy fats, which help you absorb both the lycopene and beta carotene. Do you ever eat tomatoes, carrots, sweet potatoes, etc. by themselves? You should always include a bit of healthy fats to help promote the bioavailability (absorption) of their disease-fighting nutrients! Another way to promote bioavailability is to cook these foods.
And did I mention this salad tastes AMAZING???
QUESTION: What’s your favorite grain? Have you ever tried quinoa?